Tuesday, February 14, 2006

My Taffy Valentine

One cool tradition in Lisa's family has been that of making taffy. The picture below shows Lisa and I making a batch in our garage.


It's pretty simple really. Very few ingredients - karo syrup, sugar, butter, whipping cream, parafin (yeah, that's wax that you ingest), and a little vanilla + nuts for flavoring. Then you heat it up to 252 degrees - no more, no less or it is rock hard or stickier than duct tape. After it's cooked, the taffy is then cooled on a marble slab. Wait a while and then the pulling begins. Two people start "working" it - technical term in the taffy industry - which helps it cool. Later, after it hardens some, you begin to take turns pulling it on the taffy hook shown in the upper left corner of the pic. Finally, after it is the right consistency you take it inside to cut and wrap it. Of course a few tastes here and there are a must.

The great thing about taffy is that it's not meant to be made alone. The saying "it takes two to tango" also works for "it takes two to taffy". The best part is doing this together. Lisa is the love of my life and there is no one I would rather pull taffy with. She makes my heart sing. She is "My Taffy Valentine" - so sweet! I love you honey!

No comments: