Sunday, December 26, 2010

Time - A Parent's Perspective







As a parent of almost tween kids, I'm discovering more and more of what God's heart for us must be like. A particular example of this would be as my desire to spend time with my girls continues to grow, their desire for independence grows at the same time. This can be frustrating. Often, I'll sit by my girls and ask them how their day is and I'll get a short response with a request to go do something with a friend or computer time. To be honest, it often breaks my heart a little.

As a parent, I feel this. On the other side of the coin, as a child of God, I wonder if I can see His perspective a little better. As I was meditating on Christ this morning, my mind kept wandering to other things. What I need to do. Things I want to buy. Plans I'd like to pursue. And I felt all that God wanted me to do was simply BE with Him. It hit me in the face - God must be feeling the same way I do as a parent.

As a parent, Mark Beeson has taught me a great deal about parenting. He has spoken on scheduling time with your kids. This is why I still try to keep a regular time of taking each individual daughter out for a breakfast meal so we can simply BE together.

This regular time with God is a must too! But God isn't the one who sets the schedule, it's US! Regular time with God, however that looks for you, is really the only way to develop intimacy. I'm learning this from my kids.

"Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her." Luke 10:41-42

.

1 comment:

Kathy Guy said...

Yes Dan. It is true. There will be a time when your kids will be adults, and it is fun when they want to be with you, the parents. My mind keeps going to what is to come -- the stage of the grandparents -- they don't mind spending time there, but it's not as fun anymore. I wonder how to age in a way that is inviting rather than repelling to our adult children. Not sure it's possible, but if I'm still around, I'll let you know.