Monday, January 22, 2007

Blessed to BE a blessing...

I was reading in Genesis the other day. I found the part where God talks to Abram (soon to be Abraham) and this passage struck me:

"I will make you into a great nation
and I will bless you;
I will make your name great,
and you will be a blessing.
I will bless those who bless you,
and whoever curses you I will curse;
and all peoples on earth
will be blessed through you."

How often I get kind of caught up in "bless me, God" or "bless this thing that I'm doing". Here's the thing. As children of Abraham (in an adoptive way), we are blessed. God finished each statement with an outward focus. Yeah, Abram will be blessed, but he is to be a blessing to ALL THE PEOPLES OF THE EARTH. No small order. Challenge to myself. Challenge to you (if you dare) - BE A BLESSING to someone today. Go out of your way. Be inconvenienced. Leave one thing off the checklist for tomorrow. I'd be curious to hear any stories. Now quit reading this and go do it :)!!!

1 comment:

Leah B said...

Good word. Good challenge!! Thanks for the reminder!