Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Wanna Help Some Kids in Need?

A few months back, I was challenged by the Bill Hybels interview with Bono at Willow's Leadership Summit to make a difference in the AIDS pandemic that is currently happening in Africa. One of the tools that I got from this was a DVD called Hope and Action



I would highly recommend it to anyone who needs a catch up on the AIDS crisis.
Fast facts:
· 29.4 million people living with HIV/AIDS
· Approximately 3.5 million new infections in 2002
· An estimated 2.4 million deaths in 2002
· 10 million young people (aged 15–24) and almost 3 million children under 15 living with HIV
· Africa has the greatest proportion of children who are orphans.
· By 2010, the number of orphans will reach 42 million. Twenty million of these children - or almost 6 percent of all children in Africa - will be orphaned due to AIDS

Imagine the entire population of ALL PUBLIC SCHOOLS IN THE U.S. without parents to watch them, help them grow, show them right from wrong. I was challenged by this DVD I watched to take action, so, if you'll join me, I'd like to help some orphans directly through a ministry called AIDSbracelets.org


These bracelets are made by AIDS orphans and/or their caregivers. The suggested donation for each bracelet is $20. The funds gathered go to support four outstanding charities working specifically with AIDS orphans in Africa--Compassion, International Justice Mission, Opportunity International and World Vision

Post a comment here if you're interested in helping AIDS orphans. I can get you a bracelet; or if you'd like to order some to collect donations for yourself, you can do that at their website. Thanks.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

It's so sad to read those facts about aids. I would love to help. I'll get on that website, thanks for posting it!

L.L. Barkat said...

Do any of the funds go directly to the children or caregivers who make the bracelets? Curious.