Tuesday, February 12, 2008

What Selling a House Has Taught Me

I (we've) learned a lot this time as we have sold our house. Here a few of the many lessons we've learned:

1. Talk is cheap. We heard a lot of "we LOVE your house" and "we're getting an offer together", but we've learned until you "show us the money", we're not packing boxes.

2. Trusting people at face value is not wise. We got burned a bit by some people who told us one thing and did another. Wacky, detailed filled lies. Yuck!

3. It is difficult to compare houses "apples to apples". There are often factors that are difficult to evaluate and compare. Location, size, school, distance from work, features all play out differently.

4. God is SOVEREIGN(of course). I think of Daniel 4:17: "the most high is sovereign over the kingdoms of men and gives them to anyone he chooses." Yeah, you've heard "a man's house is his kingdom" so I think this applies. I (we) don't have to worry, because God is working this all out. A reminder.

5. The song Everlasting God has hit us a lot lately: "Strength will rise as we wait upon the Lord." I think God is making us stronger through this.

I'm sure there are more, but my brain is tired. I go chill out now. :)

2 comments:

Sarah (Koutz) Johnson said...

Amen to number 5! I feel the same way. In fact I just posted the passage from Isaiah yesterday.

Kristin Baker said...

ok, so I'll repeat what I said when you asked me to pray before new community last night. You're a genius! NC was a blast! People were smiling and worshipping with new energy and vitality. I sit in the same section every Thursday, and you definitely awakened some of the regular blank starers! I was amazed that it wasn't just the younger crowd who loved it, but particularly older men in my section were all about how cool it was and actually got out of the usual arm-folding stance as they let their wives do the emoting and started moving and clapping a bit themselves. Way to go! Jason said it best, but I love how having you on the team means we won't just talk about rethinking worship, we'll actually DO it!