Friday, January 16, 2009

What messages are we sending?

Have you ever been in a situation where you are at a table for coffee with a friend and they get a "tweet" on their phone and they take the time to answer it?  Or that cell phone call that interrupts dinner?  Or that email that "bings" on the computer that has to be taken care of before bed?
 
3 areas of concern for me:
  1. Tact.  There seems to be a breakdown in social "tact" that just isn't right.  The twitter or facebook that "must" be tended to says something about value in a relationship.  At the cost of "cheating" the person who is present, a person will answer a text or tweet.  Something is not right.  Watch out for how many times we say "I've gotta take this."
  2. Availability.  We're just too available to people.  Though cells and instant email is good in many ways, we've got to learn to set limits.  As people who lead people, are we available ALL THE TIME?  I hope not.  At a certain point in the night, we should "put the phone down and walk away.  Just walk away."  Emails answered at 2AM give the impression that we do and should be working ALL THE TIME!
  3. Identity.  It scares me that a whole generation of people are being raised up that believe that their worth can somehow tie into how many hits or comments they receive on a blog/facebook/twitter.   It also scares me that I can easily fall into this trap as well.  
Our job as leaders is to set the example for others.  These are three areas that I'm working to be more intentional on.  Any thoughts?

1 comment:

Sherry Ingle said...

It has been interesting as I've been off work for 4 months to see how my "connectedness" has been tied to my computer/texting etc. Can you say "slight addiction"? As I RTW tomorrow I'm sure there will be some withdrawal but then a time of cleansing which will be GOOD!