Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A Prayer for President Obama


On this historic day, where the peaceful passing of power takes place.  Where a person who would not have had full voting rights 60 years ago, now is our President.  It seems right that we should pray.  Here is my prayer for our next president:

Lord God, maker of heaven and earth, set up your kingdom in the midst of Barack Obama.  I pray that he would have courage and wisdom to make decisions that would honor You.  I pray for strength for the journey and integrity to live without regret.  That his responsibilities as leader of our nation do not overwhelm him to the point of taking care of his family.  

I pray for Michelle, Father.  That her character and strength would only further her husband's resolve to live a Godly life.  That she, herself, would make a huge difference in this world and thus encouraging other women to do the same.  I pray for their daughters, Malia Ann and Sasha.  That they would be able to live lives still as children.  Though it will be different, I pray that they are shielded from some of the harsh realities of the world.  I pray protection over this family.  May they listen as you guide their every step.  

I pray for the people around our President.  That they would be people of integrity and that their counsel would be valuable.  I pray for great discernment during times when the path seems unclear and great understanding of the deeper issues that are at hand.  I pray for a soft heart for him, Lord.  May he keep humility deep in his soul.  Your word says that no leader is placed in power apart from your will.  I trust that you will use this man to allow the Church to be the Church.  The hope of the world.  He has said it himself that government is not the hope of our world.  I pray that he sees a strong Church in the coming years.  A Church willing to humble themselves and pray and so doing, see the healing of our land.  And beyond that the healing of the world.  

Jesus, forgive him when he sins.  Just as you forgive each of us.  May his conscience quickly convict him of wrong and bring about repentance. Holy Spirit, you are in the business of renewal.  You know that our country needs it.  So I humbly ask, that you would renew the Obama family.  Each day provide them new mercies.  Bless them richly with your favor.  God, I do ask that You bless our country - not in some selfish way that we would hoard what we have and oppress the rest of the world.  That we would, due in part to President Obama's leadership, be a blessing to this world.  That Your kingdom would come and Your will would be done here on earth as it is in heaven.  

This I pray in the mighty name of Jesus.  The strong Son of God.  Amen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful... that is EXACTLY what needs to be lifted up to the Lord daily for our president and nation! AMEN BROTHER!!!!!!! =)

Dan Vukmirovich said...

Thanks Susanna! Better days are coming. This I believe. Not just because of a President, but because of an AMAZING GOD!