Friday, September 29, 2006

Of Greatest Worth

I was running yesterday AM and started going through the to-do list. As I went through it, I began to get more and more anxious. I was even thinking about shortening my run to "get going." Up to that point, I had been having a pretty good start for the day. I was feeling pretty relaxed, was actually praying and then BAM! Anxiety. Hurry. Let's go!

It's then that I think that God reminded me of the pearl analogy that Christ used with his disciples. The Pearl of Greatest Worth.


Matt 13:44"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field."

I thought about that verse before and I realize that I've mostly thought of the metaphor as a one time event. Finding Jesus, and then forsaking everything else for him once and for all. But as many may know, and I'm just realizing how EVERY DAY I need to sell whatever it is that I have that prevents me from buying the "pearl of greatest worth." Yesterday it was certainly time that I didn't want to sell. I wanted to control each moment to make sure I got everything done. My friend, Corey, mentioned in a message a few weeks back how our relationship with God needs to absolutely primary. It reminds me also of Prov. 4:23 "Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life."

So each day I need to ask myself, "what's not for sale today that needs to be?" You sellin' anything?

No comments: