Saturday, January 19, 2008

Cloverfield: Review


Alright, I'll have to admit that when my friend Rob asked me to go to see Cloverfield last night, I was sort of, "yeah, maybe". My first choice on movies wouldn't be in the "thriller" genre. But it was Rob, so we went to the Carmike Encore Park 14 in Elkhart - this was my first visit to this theater. THE BEST THING - they play the movies in FULL DIGITAL which is AMAZING!!! Not IMAX, but amazing for local. The clairty was so great. I did not miss the specs flying through each scene that I'm used to at the Cinemark Theaters.

This movie is definitely not for those who would have any degree of motion sickness. The clever scenario of everything being from the perspective of someone's camcorder caused about 10-15 to leave our theater. Very effective use of this technique throughout.

Highlights for me -
- I loved the character development at the beginning of this film
- I was disappointed in how soon they actually "let the cat out of the bag" with
revealing how "the monster" looked. A lot scarier when you don't know what
you're scared of.
- A few good laughs throughout from the character "Hud"
- The mini-monsters that were spawned from the big mama were wicked awesome. Very
effective.
- Great ending - a little unexpected - I won't give it away if you haven't seen it
- I was kind of shocked that it was so short. Only about 1:10 in my estimation.
Bottom Line:
A good movie. Once you get past the crazy cameras, the story keeps you engaged. Good story telling with believable characters in an unbelievable setting. I jumped/was scared quite a bit more for "I Am Legend" but definitely worth seeing if you like this genre (or even if it's not your first choice!).
-

No comments: