Friday, January 25, 2008

OUT OF ORDER

Can anyone relate? 1-2 months ago, I was in an unhealthy rhythm in my life. Priorities were wacked out. This made life literally feel OUT OF ORDER. Here was my priority list, (based on time/energy spent) for that period:

1. Job
2. Family
3. God


This order had me in a constant feeling of dis-ease. Feelings of anxiety/uncertainty were rampant. I never felt like I had enough time to get done all the things that I needed to. It's amazing when your "job" is working for the Lord, how many excuses you can make to ignore a Sabbath, cheat my family by looking at another email about a work project, or take a "crucial" telephone call. What I have realized that most of my crises, were my own creation by lack of planning. I decided to change.

Not that everything's perfect now, but I have consciously made some decisions to re-arrange my life priorities. Not only have I set activities that will point me toward my life's priorities, I have actually scheduled them on the calendar. New list (yeah, it's turned upside down):

1. God
2. Family
3. Job


Things like daily time in God's word, journaling, praying - PRIORITY. Bi-weekly date night. Dates with both of my girls. Weekly financial assessment. Weekly activities to encourage health, development of my gifts, etc. All helping me feel at the end of the week like I've accomplished something. I know this is not revolutionary and Stephen Covey could have told me this 15 years ago, but I think I'm finally ready to engage this kind of structure for an artist. We'll see where it goes. I'm hopeful.

3 comments:

@heredes said...

I'm with ya bro ... tough to keep it in order (specially during those "seasons" at work) -- thanks for the reminder

-H

Jill said...

Hi friend. Thanks for your transparency. You rock!

Thank you also soooooo much for your prayers. I got your vmail when I was in DC, and I called and got Dan B. You guys had already prayed for me. Thank you! I am grateful to have you as friend and brother. Hugs to Lisa and the girls, Jill

Sarah (Koutz) Johnson said...

It is so easy to get things out of whack. I'm praying for you. Thanks for the recording...it helped!