Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Wisdom and Words

This is kind of difficult for me to say, since, in saying it, I might be the proverbial pot calling the kettle black. Alas, I think it needs to be said.

WORDS

"When words are many, sin is not absent. But he who holds his tongue is wise." Prov. 10:18

I've been thinking a lot lately about this issue of wisdom. It is an elusive thing. The whole beginning of Proverbs talks about how Wisdom cries out in the streets to be heard, and no one is listening. I wonder if we block out wisdom by our chatter. Three things to listen to:

1. God
2. Others
3. Yourself

In our constant noise, I think we really stop listening to all three - EVEN OURSELVES!

Some of the wisest people I know aren't necessarily older, nor have they been around the block a few more times. I think they're simply GOOD LISTENERS. These people don't rush to conclusions. They take time to consider things. Impulsive, they are not.(think Yoda, "hm...")


Another observation based on a conversation with a friend today:

BLOGS = WORDS

often:

BLOGS = MANY WORDS

potential for:

MANY WORDS = SIN

Warning to all: be WISE about what you put on your blog. There is so much potential for good things in this world of blogging, but to LISTEN as you type. Remembering that people don't know the inflection of your voice as they read your posts. My pastors Tim Stevens and Tony Morgan have a chapter on this in their book Simply Strategic Stuff. Ok. Now, go and blog wisely...

1 comment:

amberWIRE said...

good advice Dan....good advice